Saturday, May 28, 2011

Anime North Has Stupid Policies

Greetings, readers.

I just got back from AnimeNorth 2011, and boy am I upset. I dressed up as a ninja and I had two plastic swords with rounded edges (you couldn't cut anything with it). I was admitted into the Artist's Alley, yet wasn't allowed into the Dealer's Room, where all the merchandise is. This is the conversation:

Guy: "Sorry, we can't allow you in; you haven't gotten your weapon checked."
Me: "No one told me I had to get this checked. They let me in to Artist's Alley, why can't I go into this area?"
Guy: "You could poke someone's eye out with that."
Me: "Are you kidding me? You couldn't poke someone's eye out with this if you tried for a week! This is really lame."
Guy: "Yea, sorry, it's our policy."

I had to trek all the way across the building to the "weapons check area" where I had to sign 2 waivers, get my picture taken with the "dangerous weapons", and get them inspected by what they called the "Weapons Master"-----> fat, middle-aged dweeb. Guess what they did to ensure my "dangerous weapons" wouldn't poke someone's eye out. Give up? They put twist-ties on the handles. TWIST TIES! I couldn't believe it, especially since in the dealer's room people had booths selling real metal weapons! Real swords, throwing knives, one guy was selling girkha knives (curved knives used in WWI). I didn't see a single twist tie anywhere in those booths. That incident completely ruined my excursion and it enlightened me to how stupid some people can be.

Here's a picture of what a girkha knife looks like:



Here's what my 5 dollar plastic sword from Party Packagers looks like (try and find the magical twist tie):




Remember this dear readers, twist ties are your best form of protection.... according to the AnimeNorth Convention People.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The twist ties are to show that the weapons master has checked your weapons to make sure they ARE plastic and can't hurt anyone, and it CLEARLY says in the props and weapons policy that you get when you register and on the AN website that ALL "weapons" and other large props MUST be tagged.