Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Blog #13- Shazaam Project

Greetings, readers!

A project called Shazaam has just finished in CyberArts; it combines CyberArts with the force of Lakeshore Arts and Humber College. The project was to design propaganda posters advertising how great Lakeshore Collegiate Institute is since the school gets a pretty bad rap. Two guys came from Humber College to help us out with Photoshop and develop our poster ideas. We discussed topics like "family", "art" and "future" and made quotes with regards to those topics in order to finalize our ideas for our posters. I went with the theme "future" and my quote was "Lakeshore C.I.; our future is creative". The idea behind that is many years down the road in the far-off future, Lakeshore Collegiate will be the only school that survives. I didn't want to do a photo collage so I decided to just draw the whole poster in Photoshop. Before I began, I researched what old 50s posters of the future looked like so I would have some reference and inspiration. I wanted to make the lines smooth and very graphic; I tried to not have anything pixelated. Below is what the final product looks like:



In the background there's a futuristic city, depicting what the future might look like. The future Lakeshore Collegiate does not look like its present counterpart. I wanted the poster to be completely cool and futuristic; not the rectangular building it is now. If I was to rebuild Lakeshore C.I, I would try to make it look like that. To clear up any apocalyptic worries, I am not prophesying Lakeshore is going to be destroyed in the year 3000; I just chose that as a random date since it sounded cool. The school was really built in 1950; back then it was called New Toronto Secondary School. The hardest part of the poster was drawing the phoenix on the school since the feathers and the tail have to be flowing and feathery. At first the phoenix looked like a duck because I had made the wings look too lumpy and the head too duck-like.

No comments: