Tuesday, April 19, 2011

CyberArts Assignment: Monster Chair



Greetings, readers,

Just a few days ago in CyberArts, we designed our own chairs and built miniature models out of foam core. The chairs were supposed to represent ourselves in some way so I decided to make mine a monster chair (I really like monsters). If It was a real chair, it would be available in lots of bright colours since I like big bright colours. Below is part of the concept drawings I did to see how big the chair would be in real life and the different parts of it (so I would know how to make it with foam core). At first I wanted to do an eyeball chair or a squiggly alien chair but those would be hard to make out of foam core. For the concept drawings, we had to make grid drawings(orthographic) to show different sides of the chair (top, front, and side) and then a more detailed drawing (isometric) that could be three quarter view or otherwise.



When making the chair, I at first thought to use white tape on the outside but my friend suggested it would look messy if there was too much. I decided to use the glue gun since it can fit into cracks and dries very easily. I did end up using masking tape, but only a little bit on the inside of the chair where it would not show. The hardest part of making the chair was making the horns on the side of the monster chair's "head". I had to redo some of the pieces once or twice because I wasn't very good at making the pieces approximately the same size. Below are pictures of the monster chair from different angles.



When sitting in the chair, your feet would normally go on the floor unless you are a midget. The eye in the centre is a headrest for your head. I decided to make the chair pretty much an armchair that's been morphed with a monster so it would be functional still. I consider it a work of art because even though the monster chair looks like it is eating your face, it is still a comfortable chair.

No comments: