Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Blog Post #6: Don Martin

Greetings, readers,

Have you heard of Mad Magazine? It's a crazy magazine that makes fun of a lotta stuff! Heard of Don Martin? No??!!! He was an artist for Mad Magazine, and a very big inspiration for me. He died in 2000, but worked for Mad Magazine from 1956 to 1988. I love his cartoony style and the way he draws feet (if you ever see someone with feet like how Don Martin draws them, get them to a doctor quick!). A very interesting thing he did with his drawings was give them really big chins. Despite the big chins and floppy feet he was very good at caricatures of celebrities and famous works of art. Check out the Mona Lisa and American Gothic! Leonardo da Vinci must be spinning in his grave.





I like how he makes any sound effects really big and bright; they make the comic/cartoon a lot more zany and unrealistic. I've tried to incorporate some of his habits into my own drawings since what he does is very funny.

No comments: