Monday, April 18, 2011

Blog Post #9- Cool Sidewalk Art

Greetings,

I've found an amazing Internet page that shows a whole smorgasbord of 3D sidewalk chalk works. They were all done by artist Kurt Wenner. The things I love best about them is how detailed they are and how the works seem so life-like. When looking at these pictures for the first time, I thought they were all paintings, not chalk. Kurt Wenner is a master street painter who creates the feeling of amamorphism(making his chalk art seem to rise and fall from the ground) by drawing mythical monsters from literature and theatre as well as historical pieces. Here is one of his pieces, called The Last Judgement. The Pope signed this mural!

The image below is another of my favourites (and a whole lot of other people's too because everyone likes money :P
I like how the vault opening looks 3D, even though, if you look closely, you can see the wall underneath. I like how Kurt Wenner uses the chalk to blend the colours together; that way viewers can't see the hard edges of the shadows. Kurt Wenner put a lot of detail into the picture and it's easy to see it took him quite a lot of time to do it.

No comments: